The humble beginnings of Hills localities Parkerville and Stoneville
Mundaring and Hills Historical Society held their June General Meeting last Saturday with Guest Speaker, local Author Rob Borsje. Rob talked about the beginnings of both “villages”. How the areas were initially surveyed into large blocks and later re surveyed into smaller ones especially around Battery Road where it was quite wet. Parkerville was named after Stephen Henry Parke,r owner of Mahogany Inn, Politician and Chief Justice. Stoneville was named after Sir Edward Stone another Chief Justice. Unfortunately, the development of the area was limited by the lack of basic services, scheme water was not available until1938 power in 1950 and telephone service in 1953.
Fortuitously, the Eastern Railway went through Parkerville and the building of a station benefitted the area. Not just access to the city for people and goods but employment opportunities developed. Also, local agriculture increased the need for schools, stores accommodation and other industry.
Hikers at Parkerville Station in 1932 after walking through
National Park (now John Forrest National Park)
Residents of the area worked hard and enjoyed social outings and dances. The first hall in Parkerville was built by the local menfolk in 1897 near Battery Road not far from the Quarry. When this building needed replacement the community organised busy bees and a new timber and iron hall was constructed in Riley Road and opened in 1909.
The current Parkerville Hall celebrated its centenary in 2022.
Stoneville didn’t have a station but only a stopping place (Siding) with a small shelter just northwest of the current roundabout on Stoneville road.