Boya’s history is bound up with that of neighbouring Darlington. In July 1901 dozens of iron and hessian huts sprung up near a site to the south-west of Darlington village chosen for a quarry. The 150 workmen housed at this settlement were employed in supplying huge granite blocks for building Fremantle Harbour. A siding built to the quarry was given the Aboriginal name ‘Boya’ for rock. A second quarry nearby to supply ballast for railway construction meant the shanty town grew into a residential area.
Image : Boya on North East side of Coulston Road. Quarry on right hand side. Photography by JarrahTree wiki.media.
State Registered Places in Boya:
Above: Boya Quarry, 1905. MHHS Collection.
Above: Mountain Quarries, Boya. SLWA b3482595