From siding to Stoneville . .
A timber camp on the railway midway between Parkerville and Lion Mill (now Mount Helena) was served by a private set of rails known as Adams and Dowie’s siding. The two men provided many Perth bakehouses and woodyards, railing cords of firewood, as well as hand-hewn sleepers, from their siding. In 1905 local residents named the siding ‘Stoneville’, apparently after Sir Edward Albert Stone, Chief Justice of Western Australia, who succeeded Stephen Parker (of Parkerville) in that position.
Above: Stoneville Hall, 1929. The Hall is now on private property. MHHS Collection.
Above: Ayres family home in Stoneville, built in the 1920s. MHHS Collection.