17th October 1917 -Final Link of Trans-Australian Railway Finished
On the 17th October, 1917 the final link of the Trans-Australian Railway was completed when the western section from Kalgoorlie and the eastern section from Port August met at Ooldea in South Australia. Ooldea was an important camp during construction of this railway as it is near a permanent clay pan waterhole surrounded by sand dunes. It was first discovered by Europeans when Ernest Giles used it in 1875.
Crossing the Nullarbor Plain, it was the only freight corridor between Western Australia and the eastern states, the line was a vital link.
The railway includes the world's longest section of completely straight track.
Prior to the railway line being built, the only way to access the eastern states was by sea. The voyage crossing the Great Australian Bight was notoriously rough, time consuming and caused great discomfort.
Chidlow's Well Station - early 1900s
Part of the journey from Perth to Kalgoorlie passed through the Hills using the track that ran from Bellevue through the Swan View tunnel, stopped at Chidlow to take on water and refreshments, and eventually joined the Trans-Australian line at Kalgoorlie.
Before 1966, when the standard gauge line was introduced, travelling to Adelaide would take three changes of train. Beginning at Perth Station on The Westland Train, overnight to Kalgoorlie, then three days on the Trans-Australian Train to Port Pirie in South Australia, then onto a local train to the city of Adelaide.
This journey now leaves from East Perth Station on the Indian Pacific
Wooroloo Station - Pre WWll