Forrest Arms Hotel
Located at 28 William Street Glen Forrest, the Forrest Arms Hotel was built and licensed by William George Green in 1897, for the growing population of Smith’s Mill, now Glen Forrest. It was run by a number of licensees until 1921 when it was delicensed following a campaign by local Temperance Movement supporter Mrs Amelia McDonald.
From then until the 1950s it was known as ‘The Hostel’ and run by the Sandersons who lived in the front rooms and divided the rest of the building into four flats. Often newlywed couples and young families rented these flats until they could afford to build or buy their own modest home.
Since the 1960s it has been a private residence.