top of page

Mundaring's First Post Offices

Mundaring townsite began as a direct result of the Coolgardie Water Supply Scheme. Initially it the area for orchardists and poultry farms. Housing first began in the area north of the railway bounded by Gill, Hartung, Fenton and Jacoby streets. Apart from the railway station the earliest public building was the Post Office which was built in July 1898 on the corner of Jacoby and Hodgson streets. The first Postmistress was Miss McPhee who lived in the attached residence.

This is where the Toy Library now stands.

The First Mundaring Post Offiice

Over those early years the various business were stretched along Jacoby Street but gradually moved to the highway after such buildings as the Police Station and the Road Board Offices and the school were built. 

Opening Day of the 2nd Post Office in Mundaring

Mrs Nellie Wells and Miss Dale Smith at the Mundaring Post Office Switchboard

Photos of Mundaring Post Office decorated for the first visit to Western Australia by Queen Elizabeth 11 and Prince Philip.

Our next exhibition 'Return to Sender' is all about the postal service in the

Shire of Mundaring

Opening on 12th July


Be sure to come and have a look at the photos and ephemera that has been collected by the Historical Society over the past 35 years


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page